The State Fiscal Analysis Initiative
The State Fiscal Analysis Initiative (SFAI) is a national network of independent state policy organizations in 33 states with 8 more in development. Through rigorous, timely analyses and extensive public education and outreach, SFAI groups work to:
- Strengthen policies that affect low- and moderate-income families, such as health care, welfare reform, education, and child care.
- Promote options to make state tax systems fairer and more effective in raising needed resources.
- Help other nonprofits and the general public participate in debates about budget priorities. Often they lead coalitions working to maintain or strengthen critical public services.
Launched in 1993 in 12 states, SFAI has grown steadily. Its 31 states include four-fifths of the U.S. population, and additional organizations are expected to join in the coming years.
The SFAI network is coordinated by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Financial support for SFAI organizations comes principally from local and regional foundations, individual donors, and several national foundations, including the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Open Society Institute, the Stoneman Family Foundation, the Northwest Area Foundation, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
What People are Saying about SFAI Groups
"...the primary source for detailed analysis on almost any legislative issue affecting low- to moderate- income Texans."
- Dallas Morning News about the Center for Public Policy Priorities in Texas
"I count on the DC Fiscal Policy Institute for solid analysis and the real story behind the numbers – whether it’s on affordable housing, schools, or a number of other issues affecting District residents."
- Member of District of Columbia Council
"The California Budget Project demystifies the California budget process. Before the CBP, the budget was off limits to anyone except deep insiders. The CBP opened up the process to grassroots and individual advocates."
- Director, California WIC Association